Thursday, March 19, 2009

Pied Piper

I'm really excited to report that I just got a new flute yesterday. As I reported earlier several months ago, my division at work runs different campaigns throughout the year. Winner's of the campaigns receive 'perk points' which they can then use to buy merchandise and air fare. I'm fairly certain I'm going to use all of my 'perk points' on musical instruments. :)

So, my new little flute came in the mail yesterday. I haven't played one in a realllllllyyyy long time. I'm both amazed at how easy it is to get a nice sound going, and sad at not remembering my fingering. It almost seems bizarre that we learn how to speak this other language of notes!

Just like with my keyboarding and singing, the cats come running to me when I'm playing the flute. Their eyes are as big as saucers and their ears pricked towards me. I can't figure out if they hate the sounds, or love it. (when I sing they come running to me and sniff my mouth.)

3 comments:

Linda said...

Wow! congrats on the flute! I wish I were there to play with you :) What kind is it? I need details.

Cara said...

Very cool! Congrats!!

HaH said...

Thanks Cara!

Linda - It's really fun to have a more quiet instrument to play. I'm amazed at how much easier it is to play after having played the trumpet for so long. But I totally don't remember any of the fingering patterns.

I don't even know what brand it is! The little brand insignia on the case came off in the mail. super-cheap but it has a surprising decent tone and the fingering works really well. So I'm pretty happy! :)