Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Periodicals

I have mid-terms this week. (yes, but I'm blogging instead) I find when I am stressed, my relief is buying a book or magazine. Doesn't really make sense that if I'm stressed about reading one thing I want to read something else, but that's just how my pressure valve works.

And the pressure has been mounting in me even worse than normal as I put a cease on my book and magazine buying the moment I put in my two week notice at F.I. I couldn't justify spending money on non-essentials as long as I didn't have a job and had to embrace the idea of the public library.

Last weekend I finally caved. I'm well employed. I've been a good girl in my spending (well, there was the whole Pennywhistle incident...) and it's time to lift the magazine ban with a quick trip to B & N on the way to the gym.

I purchased.

But here is the funny thing about buying a magazine in UT. The demographics, and thus the magazine readership, is somewhat different than back East.

My top tier magazine choices are: The Economist, Inc., Harpers, Hobby Farms
Second tier: Entrepreneurship, The Atlantic, Fast Company, Success, The New Yorker
Third: Eating Well, Yoga Journal, Writers Digest, Scientific America
Fourth: Anything that might catch my fancy...

In the East, my top two tiers are readily accessible, eye level, in the Current Events section. You know, with magazines like Time and Newsweek. Here in Utah, I had to walk up and down the magazine racks, searching for them. I finally found them on the very bottom row, two shelves deep. (Meanwhile, I did find an ENTIRE section devoted to crafts and scrapbooking.)

Everyday I keep finding new things that remind me I'm not in the East anymore. But I guess trading easy access to literary diversity and global knowledge is worth the benefits of affordability, easy commuting, warm winters and friendship.

And yes. I could subscribe and it would be less expensive. But I like going to the bookstore, buying it, and bringing it home.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Are you saying crafts AREN'T more important than world affairs?! Whatever.

Miss L said...

Hey...how *is* your Little Pennywhistle? Fully recovered, I hope! :)

HaH said...

Oh Kelly, even those of us who crochet and knit couldn't read a yarn magazine every month. right? :)

Miss L., she could be doing better. She's happy and purring and wants to play with toys, but she's pretty fickle with food (what little stays in her) and she's not really putting on any weight. Her big, fat, fluffy sister on the other hand....