Monday, June 20, 2011

Raindrops on roses...

I heard the most alarming thing on the news last week; England is suffering from drought-like conditions. I think that is alarming as it seems that we've had ample rainfall so far this year. Last Friday as I was walking home from campus, in the rain, I spotted a mamma duck and her gaggle of ducklings feeding along the brook in the park near my house. This evening, when it started to rain again (for the record it also rained Saturday and Sunday...), I grabbed my camera and went back to the park to see if I could snap a few photo's of the ducklings.

(Okay, this is a rose, not a duck.)

Here is mamma duck in action. She jumps up to grab the tassels of the weeds and pulls it down for the kiddies to eat the bugs along its stem.

You'll have to click on the photo to enlarge, and then look along the water line to see tiny little brown blobs. Those are the ducklings. You want better pictures of ducklings? Go to the Boston Public Gardens 'cause real life ducklings are hard to photograph! (Or, buy me a better camera. :)
Here they are making a run for it.
While I had my camera out, I'll walk you through my almost daily journey through this park. On nice days I do my morning reading in front of the fountain, eat lunch, and then walk on to campus to write up on what I've read. It's a favorite place for lunch hang-out and sometimes I do get a little distracted watching people.



I am now walking on the path to exit the park. (This is around where the duckies were hanging out.)
Continuing along the path.
And now I'm exiting the park. (Also used as an entrance upon my return home.) I like to think of these different areas as outdoor rooms. This park has three or four such rooms with very different atmospheres. If you click to enlarge this photo you can see that it is still raining. It was difficult to snap the photo's while holding an umbrella overhead.

No comments: