Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Feasting

I recently read an essay from Krista Bremer titled “My accidental Jihad” in which the author describes the lesson’s she learns during her husband’s observance of Ramadan. As she is coming to terms with the natural human tendency towards selfishness, she wonders “Is love an endless feast, or is it what people manage to serve each other when their cupboards are bare?”

The statement first hit my heart where I had to honestly acknowledge that a few of my friends that I have been frustrated with have fed me over and over, even though their cupboards were wiped clean. And I know that I do not. I hoard. I have little stashes and pockets of me saved away from everyone.

After I mulled that realization over for awhile, I started thinking how this concept applies to not only our relationships with ourself, and with other people, but with things such as work, school, hobbies, etc. Am I pursuing dreams in my life that I can continue to serve even when my cupboards are bare? Elder Oaks Sunday afternoon talk also talked about this: There is good, better and best. Work towards the best thing.

I habitually pursue things that weren’t as important to me for lack of courage. But all those things I’ve worked towards aren’t necessarily things that I will be able to serve when I am empty. There is too much going out and not enough coming in. And I don’t mean enough “ME” time. I am selfish or self preserving enough to demand that, but I don’t have enough important nourishment coming in to sustain me.

Safety is Wonder Bread and a glass of water.

No comments: