Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Volunteering

So if you know anything about me you probably know that a) I'm a little quirky and b) I really love volunteer projects.

Before I even moved down to DC I submitted an application to teach adult education to the Arlington County Correctional Facility. i.e...people in jail. I've been very excited about this project and have called and emailed with the director. Last week I went to the orientation for the program and I loved everything about it: the organizers, the other volunteers, the service it self.

However, I've talked myself out of this volunteer project. Not for the reasons normal people might. Like, the fact that you are actually in the jail, you have have training for what happens WHEN you're in a lock down, that you are sitting in a room with 6-8 people who could have sold drugs or murdered someone. no, none of those reasons. I was actually really excited about all of that.

It came down to two things: 1) scheduling: they don't offer classes at a time that I can volunteer. 2) wardrobe. yeah. so, the main three kinds of clothes I wear are business suits, dress/skirts, work-out clothes. But in the jail we can not wear skirts or business clothes or anything that would show a lot of skin, like shorts. Casual pants and big shirts are the only thing you can wear. It's completely understandable why, but those are clothes I don't own, and, the thought of wearing pants just was too much for me.

Yes reader, I opted out of tutoring GED classes to inmates because I can't wear pants.

3 comments:

Cara said...

That's funny... but I'm impressed you even looked into it! You cease to amaze me!

Linda said...

Too bad, i'm sure you would've been great at it.

Rachel said...

I am glad you have made the decision not to volenteer in a prison. Not for the reason that you said you are not, but for the former reasons you mentioned that do not bother you. Jail is serious.