Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Commute

When I first interviewed in the DC office, I was told that several people biked to work. I spent some time with two of them and they pointed out on a map where they lived and the trail they used. That information was one of the biggest deciding factors when I booked my apartment. I will do anything to get where I need to go by using my own energy. I just HATE driving and am only mildly less averse to taking the subway.

My last mtn bike was stolen during a robbery in November. I had a difficult time deciding what kind of bike to get. The commute is 8 miles each way so I didn't want to go with a fat mtn bike with shocks, but I have never liked being on a road bike. I REALLY wanted a cyclocross, or tricross bike, but they're not cheap. I went with the hybrid on road slicks. Ideally I could have a bike for all purposes, but this one will do for now.

Including my Incredible Hulk trike, this is my 9th bike which doesn't sound like a lot if you say compare them to shoes, but I imagine is more than I'll ever have of cars.

Anyway, below are a few pictures of what my commute home looks like. I wish I could capture the wind and sound in the last two photo's. The trail goes right along the airport and there is a giant park that in the evening everyone goes to to have picnics, play soccer, but mostly just to watch the planes take off and land. It literally almost takes your breath away the planes are so close over head.

The Ride


Lincoln Memorial

Washington Monument

Some cool statue as you cross the bridge


Coming in for a landing


just passed over head

2 comments:

Cara said...

Impressive! I just bought a hybrid bike as well, but I can't commute to work. That would require biking on 93! Wish I could though... I hate driving as well.

8 miles though. Wow. Aren't you sweaty and exhausted by the time you get to work?!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.