Sunday, July 6, 2008

4th of July

I was four years old when I was in my first parade. It was the Pioneer Day Parade in SLC. I had a purple bike with a banana seat and long purple and pink streamers from the handle bars.

I started marching band in 5th grade and played in Christmas and 4th of July parades until 8th grade. I've been in a couple of Mardi Gras (not in New Orleans) parades and got to toss out candy to the specators. Any time I've not been in a parade, I've gone to watch the parade go by. I LOVE parades!

Last Tuesday I recieved an email via a listserve asking for volunteers to carry flags or balloons for Friday's 4th of July parade. I RSVP'd immediatly! I was so excited about it that I even convinced one of my co-workers to joing up with me.

Here are a few photo's from the parade:

It's about 8:00 am. The balloons are getting pumped up and ready to go.














I'm a star! My co-worker and I are each on a point of this star. There was a lot of waiting. More waiting than marching. We were 'float' number 83 out of 150.














Watching Uncle Sam enter the parade.










A view of the White House while in the parade.

















It was sooo much fun. Hot and tiring and I couldn't beleive how much my arm hurt from waving, but I would do it again. The only down side to being in the parade is that you don't get to watch the parade.

2 comments:

Cara said...

I'm jealous!!! That looks like so much fun. I don't think we have a parade here in Boston, but we might. You would know better than me! I was in a parade in provo though... it was fun, but so tired of walking at the end! However, for you, this wouldn't be a problem either!

HaH said...

Parades are kind of wacky in Boston. Each town has their own little parades and sometimes it's the day of the holiday, sometimes the saturday before and sometimes the saturday after. It makes it nice because then you can go to mulitiple parades, but none of them are major blow-outs like DC! :) Maybe next year you can come down and carry a flag with me! :)