Saturday, September 4, 2010

In about six months I have to decide what I'm going to do with Pennywhistle and Maltie. If all goes according to my master plan, I will start a PhD programme next fall in the UK.

Do I take the cats with me? I hate the idea of putting them on a plane for that trip. Plus, to take pets into the UK you have to have a six month quarantine to prove they are rabies free. (I'd start that process in January. The vet test them for rabies, then puts a chip in them, and if the cats don't go outside for six months they can safely enter the UK.)

But the idea of giving them away also makes me really, really sad. Who is going to love them as much as I? Who is going to cater to their every strange quirk? (They have many.)

Here are two photo's that capture a snippet of their daily lives:

This is Pennywhistle fanning herself. She LOVES to sit in front of the fans!















I call this hydration station. They both love to drink water from the running tap. They both have different techniques. As you can see from this photo, Maltie likes to lap straight from the running stream. Pennywhistle sticks her paw in the stream and licks from that. Or licks from the base of the sink where the water is hitting.





















Strange creatures.

1 comment:

Miss L said...

Pets! Oh how we love them and how they can be so easy and complicated.

In answer to your question of who??? Katrina. Katrina is very much a cat person. If you need someone who will love love love them, let me know and I'll give you her info. They would be in good hands. ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COIN: if you can handle the 6 months/chip thing and it's not cost prohibitive (read: can rent a pet friendly flat), it might be nice to have some form of built in comfort/support system already in the UK. We brought cats to the US from Greece, when we lived there.

Your master plan sounds amazing, btw. :)