Saturday, September 18, 2010

Tennis




















I love tennis. We didn't grow up in a house that watched football or baseball, rarely even basketball even though we all played. We watched things like tennis, track & field and swimming. I think this may have been because my dad worked over seas where those sports were more popular and televised so we watched them when he was home as well.

I've been a fan of tennis since the days of Boris Becker, Ivan Lendle and Stephan Edberg. There were some heated debates in the house about who was better looking; as I have a tendency to be attracted to red heads, I favored Becker.

Every now and then, when we were in town, Dad would take us to the tennis courts. He'd be on one side, we would all be on the other and he'd still win. Granted none of us knew much about technique and such. When I moved out on my own, I would find a court with a backboard or wall and play by myself. But again, I've never known technique.

Liberty Park, a short two mile walk from home, has adult tennis classes. During the summer break I signed up for the adult beginner class. It was a short, fun six week class. Now that school is back in, I think I have to postpone taking the second class, but I have had so much fun the past six weeks and can't wait to take another class.

To end my summer tennis, I decided to watch a little Boris Becker vs Stephan Edberg on YouTube. They were amazing tennis players.

2 comments:

Miss L said...

I was going to ask why you had to stop taking lessons when you posted on FB, but this clears it up. You look like you had a great time!!!! :)

Cara said...

You should be my dad's child as well. He always wanted his kids to have a tennis passion... but nope. Never happened! But, GO YOU!!!