Friday, December 10, 2010

Weighing In

I like to think that I am above having vanity issues, but I know it's not true. I don't fret too much about my hair, or make-up, or the state of my fingernails. I don't care if I wear the latest fashions. But one thing that I have struggled with for a long time is my weight.

I know that I am not overweight but I'm also not skinny. And I'd be fine with it if it weren't for the fact that I work out ALL THE TIME and eat really healthy. An average day for me is: early morning - 45 minutes of yoga, pilates or a jog, depending on the day of the week, bike to 5 miles to work, bike 5 miles home, evening - walk 1.67 miles to the gym, workout of an hour (weights or cardio depending on day of the week) walk home 1.67 miles. And sometimes there is walking in the middle too. I go through a lot of tennis shoes. Then there are things like tennis and swimming and other things that I throw in. I never drive to the grocery store, so I'm like a little sherpa packing groceries home too.

I've been fairly consistent with my activity/eating level my entire adult life. So you would think that I'd consistently stay in the size. But I don't. I range from size 10 to size 14. (Okay, there was one short period that I got a little out of control and was down to a size 8. It wasn't pretty on me.) Needless to say it gets frustrating and I have no idea why I fluctuate so radically. It's like every eight to ten months.

In the summer I finally went to my dr and had a little bit of a break-down. I mean, I seriously can't keep this fitness routine up for the rest of my life and I was starting to get fat. We did all the test - yes to hypoglemia and yes to a small thyroid imbalance, but nothing she wanted to start treating just yet. The two things she did put me on though - vitamin d two times a day (I already take a b-complex) and sleeping medication.

I'm not going to be a super-model anytime soon, but those two things have changed my body for the positive.

I've never been a huge fan of magazines like Shape and Fitness and am now even less so. Eat sensibly, work out, be honest with yourself, and if things aren't happening the way they should. Go see your doctor. It took blood test and a consultation. A $10 bottle of vitamin D and a $4 bottle of sleeping pills and I'm healthier than I've been in a long time.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

I sleep well, but maybe I should start taking Vitamin D regularly. I've taken it sporadically in the past.

I just got this thing called the Fitbit that figures your BMR, and tracks your activity and sleep patterns. I've been tracking my calories online for ages, and with the BMR plus activity data, the Fitbit has just proven to me that I regularly have a calorie deficit that should have me shedding the 25-30 pounds I want to lose. Instead, I've gained 10 pounds over the past 4 months. 4 months! 10 pounds!

It's been incredibly frustrating and I'm starting to think I should see the doctor. Thyroid issues run in my family, but the idea of going on some sort of medication if I do have a problem just doesn't appeal to me at all.

HaH said...

The vitamin D was a shocker. And shocking that it was so important. My DR was actually freaked out about how low my levels were.

And for the thyroid I agree that going on meds is the last effort for me too. I mean, once you start toying with hormones you are doing it for life. Funnily enough, I eat so much broccoli, brussel sprouts and other veggies in that family that it was having a negative impact on my thyroid. (by too much, I mean, I could easily eat five servings of those veggies a day.)

But I would also say that as much as walking and swimming are good for the ticker, they are not so great at losing weight. And they don't build muscles. Just for osteoporosis prevention alone you should be doing strength training about 3 times a week. And not strength training like in Shape magazine with 5 lb dumb bells. Real weights. I'd meet with a certified personal trainer. At least once to get some really good workout ideas.

Miss L said...

I have a friend who also had alarmingly low vitamin D levels (among other issues). I wonder if this is a larger issue than people think. Everytime I think of taking extra Vitamin D, though, I think of HS Biology with Mr. Deakins, who lectured us that vitamins D,E,A and K were bad if you took too much. Isn't that weird? I can't remember where I left my keys, but can remember that dumb class. Ugh. Anyway, I'm glad you saw the doctor and got this figured out!

Also, I have to say that I, too, am tracking my calories online. But it makes a WORLD of difference in my weight fluctuation if I'm actually measuring and tracking EVERY blasted thing I put in my mouth (which is soooo tedious)...or not. Eyeballing it is just not being honest with my body. That and all the Christmas cookies have been deliciously brutal these last few weeks, but that's what January is for, right? To work it off??? Plus, I asked Santa for an accurate food scale, so we'll see how all that goes. :)

Here's to a healthier New Year!

Cara said...

Yippeee!!! Good news!