Thursday, September 15, 2011

Facebook Society is Weird

I worked at the tea room today. My co-workers and the owner seem to like me quite a lot and we all had a good day talking. Our Wednesday Weight Watcher women came in and I chatted with the one about her new puppy.

Walking home from the grocery store after work, the beep beep of a horn caught my attention. It was the Elders and a passenger and were waving to say "hello"!

Walking up the drive to our terrace complex, one of my neighbors was outside, having just got home from her daughter's wedding in Jamaica. My short-term lease is coming to a close and she was excited that I was still living here. We chatted for a while about the Jamaican adventures.

I checked my voice mail an hour ago (I never bring my cell phone anywhere with me.) and I had a message from a friend from church. Just calling to see if I wanted to get together during the day to hang out.

The day was ending with me feeling pretty happy that people like me. Then I noticed that I lost two Facebook 'friends'.

Now, I've defriended a time or too. Like the guy that friended me the morning after meeting him at a party and I wanted to see if he was someone that might be of interest. He wasn't and a month later I defriended him. And I've been defriended for somewhat justified reasons. I also have some people who refuse to be my 'friend' but there's a history and I get it. But I'm kind of surprised by the two who recently defriended me. The one, we are acquaintances of the large body of Boston network. While not knowing each other on a deep level, there also shouldn't be any animosity towards one another. I mean, I know I'm difficult, but I usually do know when someone doesn't care for me. And the other was a recent co-worker that again, I thought we were on friendly terms.

But the silly thing is, I have real life people who interacted with me today, and for the past eight months, that do like me. They are a part of my real breathing and kicking life. The other two people, as nice as they are, aren't really a part of any aspect of my life. Just my past, and recently virtual life. So should it really bother me all that much? Probably not. But it does.

People are weird. I am weir. Facebook is weird.

No comments: