Thursday, June 21, 2012

Summer Solstice

Every Winter Solstice, the shortest day of the year, I think, okay, the day's start getting longer from now. I can endure. Spring and early summer comes, the days are longer, there is warmth in the air, but usually not so hot as to singe your lungs on a deep inhale. The spring frogs have come out but the drone of the summer locusts haven't burrowed out of a tree yet.

Then comes the Summer Solstice. I feel a little sad that the days will start to get shorter now. Even though there is ample heat to come in July and August (and sometimes September), I'm losing a little sunshine every day. It's all downhill from here. Some of you know that I have planned to pass away at sunset of the Summer Solstice of my 120th year. I want to go out on my perfect day.

This was the American me. When season's had definition and the shortest day and the longest day weren't almost polar opposites. The longer days here in England are excessive but still damp and cool. It's like March but with what seems like 24 hours of sunlight. There's no cooling in the night from the excessive heat to tell me the time has changed. There is no setting of the sun. Just the same same. I'm not filled with despair but nor am I filled with joy. Now I'm actually looking forward to peak and descent from the Summer Solstice just so the days will even out again. I've decided that if I stay in England I'll have to rethink my passing away date and have decided maybe the Vernal (Spring) Equinox will be ideal. Many of the spring flowers have bloomed, little lambs are in the field, and day and evening are equal. So if I stay in England, my new expiration date will be the sunset of the Vernal Equinox of my 120th year. I like to have these things planned out.


No comments: