Tuesday, June 10, 2008

air conditioning

In my youthful Southern days, the only place we ever had air conditioning was when we lived with my grandparents. Which was off and on. Being normal active kids, we were often lectured about going in and out, letting out the cold air and wasting electricity. (we were taught many lessons about not wasting things when we lived with my grandparents. I still save used aluminum foil.) So I've spent a fair amount of time living in the very hot and humid south withouth air conditioning. And usually heat doesn't bother me. But I am not covered in fur.

The past few days here in Boston have been HOT. Friday night I was wearing sweat pants and a jacket around the house. Sunday? 100 degrees. The funny thing is I didn't realize I was hot until I got home from church to change my clothes and my dress was soaked through. And I'm used to suffering through the heat so I don't really ever think about using air conditioning. But my poor cats are prostrate against the bathroom tile trying to stay cool.

An old roommate left their window air conditioner installed in the upstairs bedroom, so, despite my aversion to air conditioning I turned it on for the cats. But they won't stay in the room alone! It's a baked 100 degrees on the main floor, but if I'm down here, then the cats will be too. They'll stay in the room if I'm there with them, so, in an empty room with no tv, no internet, no furniture or anything else but that air conditioner, I sit and read a book or write or take a nap. (I did try to take out the unit to move it down stairs, but it really is a two person job...)

I'm hoping that tomorrow's weather is cooler.

2 comments:

Linda said...

That's so cute that they follow you around everywhere. I'd be in the air conditioned room as well. Even with my Arizona upbringing, I'm still a wimp.

HaH said...

yeah, they're really cute, but I don't know what they do while I'm gone at work. They're at the front door the minute I come home and don't leave my side until I leave. And they're super-cute when I'm trying to do yoga or pilates in the living room! :)

I hate being a wimp about the heat, but I think I actually have heat rash on my face. I've never been bothered by heat before. :(