Sunday, November 30, 2008

Lonesome Dove

I had every plan in the world to go on a road trip yesterday. Friday I printed out my little maps and itinerary, gassed up the car, and then stopped in at the bookstore to pick up a newly released business book. I can never buy just ONE book, but have to buy at least TWO. If I'm going in to get a non-fiction book, I have to pick out one fiction that is on my list and vice versa. Don't want to get unbalanced in my reading...

My list of fiction comes from various list that are compiled, mostly by Random House; 100 top books of the American 20th century is my favorite. The have been five on my list that keep getting bumped, either because I desperately wanted to read something else, or the bookstore didn't have it in stock.

Lonesome Dove has been one of those five. It has been bumped several times mostly because it's a Western and I'm a girl. So, on Friday, having picked up the new business book I specifically went to get, and having just watched the dusty, but sexy cattle driver of Hugh Jackman in Australia, I was hankerin' for Western and Lonesome Dove jumped off my list and into my hands.

It's been an engrossing read. Enough so that I started thinking late Friday night, maybe I should take one of my accrued vacation days and stay home and read tomorrow...and I did. It's a big book, almost as big as Les Mis. I'm on page 146 and I'm not sure that I've gotten to the "Pulitzer prize winning" guts of the book, but it's good.

One thing that I think is odd is how much he talks about peeing. There's not a chapter that goes by that he doesn't talk about one of the cowboys peeing. (or pissing to be exact) Do guys like to read about cowboys peeing??

Well, I'll see ya' again in about another 799 pages.

No comments: