Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving

We didn't celebrate holidays in my family when I was a child. When I moved out at a young age I used to fantasize about what my future holidays would be like: a large warm house full of family and friends talking, playing games, reading books, watching football or Hallmark movies, bread baking, and pies cooling on the counter, dogs curled up by the fire, etc. You get the picture.

Many, many years later, this fantasy hasn't come even close to being true. Well, I do have little animals curled up fast asleep but they're cats, not dogs. I love the meaning of being thankful and doing for others, though I try to do this everyday. but I'm kind of over celebrating Thanksgiving and Christmas the way others do. Mostly it's turned out that it's a day spent with a hodge-podge of strangers that you'll never see again and eating LARGE amounts of food (which I'm not sure how that differs from just going out to a restaurant) Anyone who knows me knows that I'm not really all that into eating, and definitely not into spending lots of time with strangers.

However, in my anti-Thanksgiving celebration, there are a few things that I wish to express thanksgiving for this season:

I'm grateful for having a good job and a savings account
I'm grateful for having well stocked cupboards with healthy food
I'm grateful for a healthy and strong body
I'm grateful for my faith in Christ
I'm grateful for being able to choose my own religion, vote, and other liberties
I'm grateful for my two cats and animals in general
I'm grateful for technology, education, books and knowledge
And I'm grateful for the sunshine when it is out, and I'm grateful for the rain when it rains. (I don't know how to express how much I love weather, but almost every journal entry and every prayer starts out with my gratitude for whatever it was for the day. )

No comments: