Sunday, May 10, 2009

Star Trek

I watched the new Star Trek yesterday. Ah the memories. I grew up watching reruns of the original Star Trek and it had quite an effect on me. My childhood fantasy life, when living with my grandparents in Louisiana, involved a combination of Star Trek and Fantasy Island. At dusk I would put on my grandmother's white flowing night-gown, with matching robe and hood and run around the yard, chiffon fabric blowing in the breeze.

In my world, the Magnolia tree was my mother ship, the Pecan tree close by was the evil ship, and all the Azalea bushes were worlds to be conquered. I wish that I had photo's of the schematic of my grandmother's yard so that you could see the distance involved in my conquering, and how large these 'planets' were. I couldn't suspend reality well enough to make myself believe that I could transport to these planets, so I had to create my own little space shuttle for travel. My space shuttle was a toy International tractor that looked like this:



The other thing I realized watching the new Star Trek is how much I love Spock. And I loved Spock when I was little too. I think this might explain a little bit about my troubles in my love life; I love men who are logical, structured, and emotionally controlled to the point of almost being robotic.

I'll probably have a better chance of getting to the Moon with that toy tractor than make a real-life Mr. Spock fall in love with me.

BTW, if you haven't already, go see the new Star Trek!

No comments: