Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Flat

Now that I've been here for almost two months (my time here is going so quickly!) I thought I would finally post some photo's from around my flat. I wasn't at all sure that I would stay in this flat when I first arrived, it usually does take me a month or two to figure out if I can handle quirks of a place, but I feel pretty settled now, feeling a little bit more like this is "home" instead of someone just renting a room.

First I'll tell you briefly about my flat mates - all men.

1 - He is the owner. I'm guessing he's a little over 40, has a sister with my name, has his own marketing company, but earns most of his living as a DJ. His office is the garage and he is up till 4 or 5 in the morning making his mixes. Kind of jittery, but very easy going.

2 - In the room next to mine. He's a chef. He also works late and I usually don't see him. When he is home he spends most of his time in his room. Sometimes his girlfriend is over and she is the most giggly person I've ever heard. In fact I've decided the reason I'm not in a relationship is because I could never just giggle day after day after day. No one is that amusing to me. He's also nice, when I do see him. And he is Winston the Cat's master. (there might be some jealous feelings that Winston hangs out in my room more often now...)

3 - This is a new guy who just moved in a month ago, replacing a young French student who was here on exchange. The new guy is probably also a bit over 40. He's an IT professional from Bournemouth. He was contracted to work here in Cheltenham for only a few months and when he found out he'd be here through the rest of the year decided to find something more permanent than just a room let. I talk to the him the most. In fact, his moving in made me feel more comfortable because he hangs out in the common rooms, watches t.v. and socializes so I feel like I don't need to stay buried in my own room all the time.

4 - There was another Frenchmen who lived here, but he and his girlfriend just moved into an apartment together, so he has not been replaced yet. The owner is trying to find another female as that balances out the house better.

Then there is Sophie the Cat and Winston the Cat and they don't get along with one another at all.

So...pics.. The pic on your left is the front of the house, the center pic is the back yard, directly out my 2nd level bedroom window. The far pic is zoomed in on a church steeple that I can see from my window while I'm working at my desk. I like how the back yard is called a "garden". I've not heard one person refer to their plot of earth as a "yard". It's always a "garden". I think calling it a garden makes you feel more inclined to do something with it rather than just having a square of grass that you water and mow. It's also nice with all the growth that you can't see into your neighbors outdoor living space.



This is my bedroom window with the neighbor's cat coming up for a visit. He and Winston are playmates.



The living room: The decorating in the flat is unique. I wouldn't really call it masculine and wonder if it's not leftover remnants of a previous relationship. I love the giant chess set. Sophie is in the background of the center pic. And the right is a pic of two little faerie figures on the edge of the t.v.





A tall wooden bird and a giant wooden turtle in the living room. I like them.



The pic on the left is the mail on the floor. It scares me every time it's delivered. The Royal Post man really chucks it through the door. The mail carriers here ride bikes with giant baskets on the front. When going from house to house, the stand on one pedal, pushing the bike along like a scooter. The pic in the center is the electric tea kettle. I love this thing. I love herbal infusions, hot ovaltine, and barley/chicory drinks so this thing is wonderful! The little things on the right? Poached egg holders. Everyone in this house eats poached eggs almost every day. yuck!! But I do think the egg holders are kind of cute.



The pic on the left is the washer AND the dryer. Perhaps small apartments in the big cities in the States have these, but I've never used one before. However, the pic in the center is demonstrating how one flat mate actually dries his clothes; draped around the house. As you may know, I hate drying in a dryer, so I'm very happy that draping clothes around the house to dry is completely acceptable. The pic on the right is in the shower room. (The toilet is in one room. the bathtub is in a different room.) I wish you could really see how many cobwebs are on these lights. It's not AS spooky as this picture looks, but the style of light coupled with the cobwebs is kind of Silver Dollar City haunted hous'ish'.



I would put up a picture of my room, but it's messy (typical) and small, which doesn't help the messy factor. But it's no smaller than any standard size room in Boston and I have seen smaller. It's pink with purple and white curtains and has a lovely picture of a Valentine type heart, which I love despite the fact that most people assume that I don't like girly and flowery things...

4 comments:

Noble Family said...

Ha! Ha! So because I know where your last comment on this post came from I think from now on I will only give you flowery, pink things! :-)

Miss L said...

Love love love all the pictures. I can't believe it's been 2 months already!!!

Amy B. said...

I had to seriously do a double take of the turtle. I thought it was real at first glance! Love the photos! Keep them coming. I'm living my dream vicariously through you right now! I've always wanted to live in the English countryside:)

HaH said...

Krista - You're not the first to think that I don't like pink. I'm actually really girly inside. buried deep down.

Amy - pack up your camera bag and come visit me!!!

Laurenda - it is going to go by way too fast!